Being an artist means ceasing to take seriously that very serious person we are when we are not an artist. Jose Ortega y Gasset





.














-

10 December 2010

I am for real

I don't know who I am
I don't know how life began
but I know: Love begins with me!

We be all about the humours
don't let the rumours take hold of your hand
your writing hand your fighting hand
make making-love your name brand

I don't deal with no 'what what'
I don't deal with no 'wish wish'
I don't deal with no 'want want'
I deal with what is, is
I deal with that real shit

I don't consume without research
girl you tryin to get hurt?
you tryin to hurt your kids?
take a look before you buy that shirt!

look before you buy, before you assert
your individuality-it ain't what you own
or how high up or down
those clowns/visionaries say they'll take your town

to the world stage-property, sanctity
consumability, criminality:
might be the downfall of our society
You hear that B.P.?
Catch that Morgan Stanley?
Feel me ancestors in Eternity?

...Forever, if ever: don't want my baby mama
dropping kids like I drop beats-to 'da feet'
misogynist bullshit
just cos you say she do

just cos you say it's true
now I don't wanna make you mad at me
but just cos you say it's true
that don't make it true you see

Just cos you say I do
be bowin down to sweep the street
then kiss your feet cos I like feeling meek
I'm happy knowing my place in stricture society

Sorry Mas'suh but that's some outdated dogma
your slingin on 42nd Street

Now I don't want no man mad at me
but you ain't no kind of father – be
hanging around with girls their daughters
hate – I know all about prosperity and shit...

You can count on me
forever to be mendicant

but just cos you say that's true
that don't make it true – I'd be
happier with almost anyone besides you
with their finger on the button

Won't have my baby boy my brother's little girl
my sister my mother my cousin her lover
my next of kin or stranger in a strange land

getting rolled on a globe powered by
hateful white man's hypocrisies
or their finger's on the button!