Being an artist means ceasing to take seriously that very serious person we are when we are not an artist. Jose Ortega y Gasset





.














-

10 December 2010

Call and response

I've seen the walls and heard the walls I listen to the walls and I've heard the pipes contained within the walls the water coursing through the pipes and pipes jangling within the walls I've heard and seen the metal measuring cups on a metal loop strung on a nail on the wall behind which are the pipes and the water racing through the pipes as someone showers in flat above

I've lit the high performance front the rear the high performance rear the front sent the gas sparking aflame as the stove went rumbling below the apartment I pose my head a-palm my forehead frozen in sky I hear the rumble I hear the sky rumble from an airplane it's the lowest allowable height I'm sure the measures enforced so strictly the measuring so strict the sky so full of air

not like before before the sky was burnt behind the sky and burning and the burning sky and the lover telling the lover a lover's lie a kind lie a lie meant to raise the wishes so high because the false consort always aims too high atop the nearest the highest or the lowest atop a hill is no place to cavort, lovers

I've heard yu cry yu lovers don't yu be bothered by the lovers on the other side the lovers on the inside of yr bodies as the residue of love leaves in long streams don't be hidden by yu lovers don't be hidden by each other

I have seen the taptaptapping of the wall the rapraprapping of the men clearly discernible in the navy yard and just beyond its fences one can see and hear the sky in it is booming the sounds of lovers leaping

I heard the disinterestedness in a voice and I heard the man saying he wasn't interested but not in so many words as to be boring but I'd rather be boring than be bored for I've known the man is there before merely by hearing the words he says and the sensation of being kept under his thumb

I've heard behind the sensations G-d the unfathomable attendence of men to the living tho the living don't want anything to do with the deity and it matters not to him or them if I'm here doing whatever the hell it is I'm doing